Monday, October 26, 2009

Whoudda thunk it?

Whoudda thunk it that almost 10 years later my parents would benefit from a fight Lincoln and I had back when we lived in our little tiny condo and didn't have any kids?

This March it will be 8 years since we build our house and moved into it. Eight years since we poured the foundation for our garage but never built anything. Eight years of hoping the kids don't impale themselves on a rusty bolt sticking out of the garage foundation when they can't resist walking along the little wall. It is rather tempting for a child after all - a low wall that is just their size.

But now....now that is all going to change. It looks like with a generous gift from Lincoln's parents we'll finally get a chance to build our garage. It has always been our intention to build a room above the garage but what that room would be has always been somewhat up for debate. Do you make it guest quarters? A playroom for the kids? A warehouse/workshop for Lincoln's business? What to do, what to do.

When we found out we'd be able to build the garage next spring Lincoln and I were very excited and immediately started making plans. I would love to do it as guest quarters so that my family can come and stay with us for longer periods of time but it also didn't seem terribly practical since it would stand empty a lot of the time. And by "guest quarters" I meant a huge room with a bed in it and a bathroom in the corner since you'd have to go outside to get into the main house. That's all I was hoping for. I talked with Mom and she seemed excited about the idea but she and Dad also thought maybe it would be more practical for us to plan something for that space that would be used on a more consistent basis. It made sense to me, and even Lincoln admitted the idea had some merit, but Lincoln really wants to put an apartment up there. An apartment....not guest quarters....but an apartment with a kitchen and a living room and everything. Who am I to argue with that when it means Mom and Dad can come out here and spend more and more time with the kids?

Oh wait...that would be me. Yep, it's all coming back to me now. The second big fight Lincoln and I ever had with each other. Click the link to read the back story on this but I just want to put it out there that I AM WILLINGLY CONCEDING THE ARGUMENT TO LINCOLN.

Of course when the children want to move back home after college I reserve the right to change my mind again.

No comments: