Friday, October 9, 2009

Speaking New England-ese

Me: Do you know where my brown shoes are?

Link: Oh, yeah. They're over here.

Me: Okay, I never would have looked there.

Link: Well, it's where I keep my cellar shoes.

Me: First of all, they're not my cellar shoes because I never go down there. Second of all, we don't have a cellar, we have a basement.

Link: What's the difference?

Me: I don't know. I just don't like the word cellar. It's too "New England".... like pocketbook and packie*. I hate the word pocketbook.

Link: No, if it was a cellah, it would be too New England.

Me: Good point.

*A pocketbook is pretty easy to figure out...it's what the rest of the country would call a purse. A packie is a package store. Still don't know what that means? A package store is a liquor store. So if you need alcohol you have to head to the packie. These New Englanders are kind of crazy that way.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

The others don't bother me as I was raised saying them, I HATE "packie" though, it's a Mass thing and still confuses me. But it could be worse, you could be in Rhode Island, land of the "bubblers".