Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The entire insurance industry is certifiably insane. Is that considered a pre-existing condition?

Lincoln and I are increasing the amount of our life insurance and to do so we have to take a mini-physical and fill out a long health insurance questionnaire. In addition to filling out a written questionnaire you also have to do a 20-30 minute interview over the phone. I completed mine today. My two favorite parts of the conversation were about the birth of Jacob.

Insurance Company Rep: In the past 5 years have you ever been admitted to the hospital overnight?

Me: Yes, when I had my son.

ICR: And what symptoms prompted you to go to the hospital?

Me: Um, I was in labor? (Not technically true since I was induced but my other choice was to say "Well, he wasn't going to stay in there forever" but I thought that might be too smart-ass of a comment.)

ICR: And how was the situation remedied?

Me: I gave birth.

ICR: And what was the result of your treatment?

Me: A baby boy.

(Later I just couldn't hold back the wise-cracking. Luckily the guy taking the survey had a pretty good sense of humor.)

ICR: Have you ever been on short or long term disability?

Me: Yes, I was on short-term disability when I had my son. That's how my company does maternity leave.

ICR: And how were you disabled?

Me: Apparently by having a child.

ICR: And are you still disabled?

Me: Technically? No.

ICR: How was your disability remedied?

Me: Well, I still have the kid. I'm just not getting paid for it anymore.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOL love it! You were on a role today weren't you?

Diane Lentz Snow said...

Yes. And this conversation was BEFORE my argument with the elevator company.