Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Underappreciated

One of the duties in my job description is "employee morale". That means throughout the year I organize social events, games, outings, etc. I actually enjoy doing these things and I put a lot of work into them in order to make them as special as possible for the employees. I go to the mat for every budget dollar I can eke out of the company in order to get perks for our employees.

Planning a holiday party may not seem like the world's most important activity but I take great pride in it every year. A lot of work goes into it and if I do a really good job it will seem effortless to the people attending the party. It is the only event that gets a majority of our employees involved and it's one of the few times I can actually give them something tangible in the form of an employee "thank you". In the case of the holiday party that is usually a gift card that they can keep for themselves or re-gift during the holiday season.

It drives me absolutely batty when people look down on what I do because it's "trivial". When they tell me they don't have time to RSVP for the party because "they're doing really important things." Well you know what, you would be awfully miserable doing your "really important things" if I didn't bust my ass all year trying to keep up your morale. You may not notice it but all the little things I do actually help make our office a great place to work whether you appreciate it or not.

And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You do an AMAZING job considering what you have to work with. If anyone gives you any crap, send them my way.