Thursday, April 29, 2010

Self-imposed Rules

I started writing this blog almost 2 years ago. Originally I started doing it as a way for my family and friends to keep up with what is going on with us and all that the kids do. It quickly became more than that because I've discovered it's a great way to chronicle the kids' lives and I think it will make a great keepsake for them someday (if I ever get around to having it printed and bound into a book). It has also been incredibly therapeutic at times to write about what is on my mind. In general, I've really enjoyed writing this blog and I'm glad I started it.

But I do have a few self-imposed rules about what I'll write.
  • I won't write anything that I wouldn't be willing to repeat to any family, friend or stranger. If I'm not willing to have it on the 5 o'clock news, I won't write it.
  • I won't write about personal things that are going on in the lives of my family and friends unless they give me permission. Everything I write on here has to do with me, my thoughts, my opinions, and my immediate family only.
  • I won't post pictures of other people's kids without their permission. I generally don't post pictures of anyone outside of me, Link, and the kids but every now and then I will if the person is okay with it.
  • I won't talk badly about other people unless I've already expressed it to them directly - or am willing to express it to them directly.
  • I don't talk about other people's kids except, occasionally, in passing. I would never write anything rude about another person's kid although, to be honest, that limits a lot of what I could write about.
  • I won't vent about an issue - political, social, or otherwise - unless it's one that I'm willing to debate with anyone who wants to talk to me about it.
  • And I don't talk about my middle sister because I honestly believe her jackass husband would likely sue me if I did. That was the first - and last - time I'll even come remotely close to mentioning her.

And that's it. I don't regret that the principal found out about my blog. I don't regret that obviously some parent out there has way too much time on their hands and wants to stir up trouble by sending the link to the principal. I'm more than willing to stand by what I write and I'm comfortable with what I'm willing to make public so I think I'm doing just fine.

2 comments:

nicheplayer said...

You should hear the way Leah and I talk about your kids. It's SHAMEFUL! But you can't hear us, so we're fine with it.

XOXO

Diane Lentz Snow said...

I can only imagine!