Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's just like Christmas Eve today

Tomorrow morning is Patriot's Day here in Massachusetts which means it's the day that the re-enactment of the Battle of Lexington takes place. This year it falls on the actual anniversary of the battle which took place on April 19, 1775. I have always wanted to attend the re-enactment but in the 11 years that I've lived here I've yet to do it. It starts at dawn and it always just seemed impractical to drive all the way into Lexington in order to attend the re-enactment. This year it makes sense though since Hannah is studying the American Revolution in 3rd grade. I got us a hotel room in Lexington and we'll be up bright and early tomorrow morning to attend.

As a history major whose favorite period in American history is the American Revolution, this is like Christmas Eve to me. I am SO excited for tomorrow. It feels like Christmas Eve except instead of waking up to really excited kids I'm sure I'll wake up to cranky, tired, and - most likely - very cold kids while we're standing out on the Common waiting for it to begin. But that's okay. I'm not going to let them ruin this from me. I'm way too excited.

No comments: