Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Is guilt and nagging a good parenting style?

Jake is my youngest.

Jake is spoiled rotten.

Yes, rotten.

I love him to death but he is definitely coddled - especially by his Grandma and Grandpa Snow. And us. I can't excuse us from the blame.

I just did his school shopping for kindergarten and got him all elastic waist pants because he "can't do buttons".

I picked him up from G & G Snow's yesterday and told him to clean up his toys but he looked at me and said "Grandpa cleans them up."

Then when I asked him to put his shoes on he told me he liked it better when Daddy picked him up because then someone (either Daddy or Grandpa or Grandma) helps him put on his shoes.

We've finally gotten him to wipe his own butt when he poops but that was quite the trial for awhile.

Today Mom, Hannah, and I picked up Jake at G & G Snow's so that I could drive them up to stay in a hotel with Dad up at Ft. Devens where is working. While we were in the car I was talking to Mom about how Jake is never going to learn to do anything for himself because everyone always does everything for him.

I listed all of the things above (the shoes, the wiping, the elastic pants).

Me: But, he is learning how to tie his shoes.

Jake: (piping up from the back seat) There! Are you happy now Mom?

I probably should have felt ashamed as a parent but to be honest, I burst out laughing.

God I love that kid. Elastic waisted pants and all.

1 comment:

Scott said...

LOL! Oh you know I love that kid, too!